Teriyaki Beef Kebabs
With the heat of Summer slowly fading away, people start to pack away their barbeques and don’t realise that Autumn can be that perfect medium between scorching hot and freezing cold. So with the Easter season and its accompanying public holidays fast upon us, what better way to celebrate than with a good ol’ barby. With this in mind, 2 Hungry Guys and our friends at Barbeques Galore have decided to share one of our favourite quick and easy BBQ recipes: Teriyaki Beef Kebabs!
The great thing about these kebabs is that they are so simple to make with very little cooking or preparation time.
Preparation 15 minutes + 2 Hours Marinating – Cooking Time 6-10 Minutes (Serves 12)
- 12 beef sirloin steaks, about 350g each
- 3 large capsicums, sliced into small squares
- 12 large shitake mushrooms (any will do)
- 2 cup beef stock
- 2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 12 large skewers
1. Combine the beef stock, sauces, lime juice, honey, spring onion, garlic and ginger in a small bowl and whisk for 1 minute or until well combined.
2. Trim the meat of excess fat and slice across the grain evenly into long, thin strips. Alternatively you can just ask your butcher to do this to save the hassle. He’ll probably do a better job of it anyway.
4. Carefully, and without stabbing yourself, thread the meat onto the skewers, ‘weaving’ them in place with a piece of capsicum or mushroom in between the folds.
5. Place the skewered meat in a shallow dish and pour 3/4 of the marinade over them.
Store in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap for 2 hours or overnight, turning them occasionally.
6. Cook the skewered meat on a preheated lightly greased barbeque grill or flatplate for 2 minutes each side to seal, turning once.
For a rare result, cook a further 1 minute each side. For medium and well done results, cook a further 2-3 minutes each side for medium and 4-6 minutes each side for well done. Brush occasionally with the reserved marinade during cooking, or a lot of the time if you didn’t have time to marinade for long.
For all your BBQ needs:
Click here to visit Barbeques Galore
Click here to visit Ziegler and Brown